Wednesday, July 10, 2013

First Love ( entry to First Car moneysupermarket.com Blogging Competition)




First Love

Betty the Beetle was my very first car: an old style Beetle with the engine at the rear and a lot of attitude up front. I loved that car. She drove me through the thick and thin of my life Up North-from beetling me around hospitals in my training as a physiotherapist to karate training sessions in all parts of Yorkshire. She once inadvertently raced a police car down a dual carriageway -thinking it was a boy racer trying to get the better of me-but I'm sure it was her cheeky looks (and a flash of my physio badge) that got me off a speeding ticket.






Betty could be quite a Sweaty Betty in the heat (air-con was for wimps-and gazillionaires) and knee-knockingly freezing in the cold, but she was one of the most dependable cars I have ever owned. She was an M reg (that's with the M after the numbers not before)-so she would be worth a mint if she was still alive today. But like M in the Bond movies, all old gals bite the dust in the end. She failed her M (OT). It was the rust that saw her off. The garage told me her case was terminal and so she was sent to the car graveyard, to the big dream-crushing machine.
I don't think I'd ever cried about an inanimate object before, but Betty was like a mate, so that sort of made sense. I missed her (sore) throaty engine growl and no-nonsense functional looks: she was true blue in colour and the loss of her made me blue in mood....
The only thing that could comfort me was the spanking brand new Fiat Panda waiting to be picked up from the garage forecourt round the corner......

Ruthie at Me-Mo


A Me-Mo Car Review

moneysupermarket.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home